Manufactured In: United States
Mfg Part Number: 1946
Prototyping Skill: Beginner
Programming Skill: Intermediate
Return Policy: 14 Day Unopened / Unused
Adafruit FONA – Mini Cellular GSM Breakout uFL Version
Have you ever wanted to add cellular voice / data / SMS capabilities to your project? This module measures only 1.75″x1.25″ but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a GSM cellular module the size of a postage stamp. On its own, this module can't do anything – it requires a microcontroller to drive it. We suggest an Arduino or Adafruit Metro but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART that can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins will work.
There are a few required accessories to get this board up and running:
- SIM Card – A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network. In Canada we recommend Rogers as a cellular provider.
- LiPo Battery – 500mAh or larger!
- External Antenna – We carry a slim uFL antenna that works great!
There are also some recommended accessories that are not required but chances are you'll want them!
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
- AT command interface with “auto baud” detection
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz – connect to any compatible GSM network with 2G SIM
- Send and receive SMS messages
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry
- Breakouts for external 8Ω speaker and electret mic
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
Adafruit FONA: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fona-mini-gsm-gprs-cellular-phone-module
Only 1 left in stock (can be backordered)
What is BC Robotics?
BC Robotics Inc. is a supplier and manufacturer of electronic kits, components, and accessories based in Nanaimo BC, Canada. We stock a large selection of popular items from Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Adafruit Industries, SparkFun Electronics, Pololu, Makey Makey, and many more!